SMS are an effective way of communication and can be preferable to emails in certain circumstances where you have important or exciting news to share with your customers. They are particularly useful when used to:
- notify a customer about a successful or declined payment
- make a customer feel special for important events like their birthdays
Before you get started
You need to ensure that you have a valid mobile number recorded in the Mobile Phone field ()of your customers profile. An SMS will not be sent if a mobile number is registered in the land line phone field.
Install the add-on
Under Add-ons → SMS click on the Install button.
Configure the add-on
- Sender Name: the name (without spaces) or mobile number that appears to your customers when they receive an SMS sent from Troly
- SMS on Bounced Email: enable this option if you'd like customers to receive a SMS each time an email failed to reach them
Click on the Save button.
Sending a SMS via Troly
Once the SMS Add-on installed, under Settings → Communications you can customise SMS templates for:
- Orders pending pickup
- Customer birthdays
- Customer Bounced Email
- Successful credit card payment
- Declined credit card payment
If you wish to learn more about building your SMS templates, please visit this specific article.
The SMS for birthday wishes can also be set-up in the Dashboard → Birthday.
For more information about automated SMS messages, please visit the dedicated page.
Billing and Reports
There is a cost of 10¢ for each SMS sent that you may wish to consider when you are using the bulk action or the SMS on Bounced Email functionalities. This will be reflected in Operations→ Reports and Transactions. You can also filter your report by clicking on Transaction ▼ and selecting Fees – SMS. Please note that your customers will not be charged any additional fees on their end for receiving SMS from Troly.